Monday, December 13, 2010

The Garden Lounge November 2010



Well hello my fellow readers

(sorry for the long wait)

This month I place myself in a stunning venue called the garden lounge.
It is a restaurant / lounge bar , were guests can come , relax and dine in a fabulous furnished lounge with exotic view of the gardens and the back of table mountain , which one can either view from the inside of the lounge or out on the ever most famous patio area. (very popular for sunrise breakfasts and basking in the warm sun lunches)

During my time in the garden lounge I was only meant to work in the bar area for the entire month , but to me it seemed an entire month in the bar would be a bit to much.
So I asked permission from the manager to be able to work as a barman/waiter and I was granted m wish.

Barmen

Being a barmen in a hotel is quite different from being a barmen in a standard restaurant or an event.
The bar is completely stocked , from all your different types of: beers right down to our whiskeys and liqueurs. Requiring one to know where everything is kept.
So when you make a beverage you know where everything is and what it contains.
The reason why being a barmen in a hotel can differ from many other establishments because a barmen needs to be able to pick up and service tables too , when it becomes super busy. So in other words one needs to be able to be a jack of all trades.

Waiter

Being a waiter for me was not only a great experience gainer but I actually really enjoyed it. For me to be able to interact with guests and other people is my passion therefore being a waiter I could fill that glass of passion to the brim.
The other aspect of being a waiter is that it’s a very pressurizing and mind skill/ memory testing job. Being a waiter requires a lot of patience, self-control and stability. I consider it to be one of the world’s most stressful jobs because you constantly have to be on your feet and run around like a headless chicken for guests. One also needs a really good memory especially when you serving a big table or loads of tables. Trying to remember exactly what each table wants and expects. But on the whole, the road to becoming a successful waiter is: confidence, self-discipline and being able to handle pressure.

For me my experience in the garden lounge was a fun and awesome one. Thank you to every one of the staff members who helped me out and taught me the ropes.
As I have said time and time before it takes real special people who go out of their way an give part of their time to hand over a small piece of their knowledge.

Love you all

X.O.X.O

Hotel Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment